Monday, May 4, 2009

Printing on Ribbon.


After much trial and error I was able to print on polyester ribbon with my Epson R1900 Ink Jet Printer. I cut the 2.5 inch ribbon to 18 inch lengths. I also cut Reynolds Freezer Paper to the same size. I ironed the paper on the back of the ribbon at the Polyester setting. I printed the design on the plain paper/draft setting. The paper and ribbon spirals after a short time so I re-ironed the ribbon just prior to printing. I ironed the paper/ribbon to remove the paper backing. The ribbon was cut with a pinking rotary cutter into 6 inch strips.

Things I discovered were that I had to set the paper size to 3.5 by 18 inches since the printer would not print narrower than that. I had to offset the image to the side and luckily the paper guide would go down to the 2.5 inches. I also learned NEVER try to feed the ribbon without the paper backing since it just disappears...... Also, when I tried to print on a setting with better resolution it smeared.

Note: Although this worked it probably is not without risk
.

No comments: